This weekend, one of my best friends Amanda, from high school, came into town for a wedding with her boyfriend Jason (who we LOVE). The got into town Friday evening and we started it off right with a trip to Forbes for a margarita. Afterward, we strolled down for Gomer's to catch the tail end of the wine tasting.
8:30pm rolled around and we were starving so we ventured to Downtown Lee's Summit to MY favorite BBQ place, Beauchamp's (pronounced bee-chums). The food was wonderful and the company was even better.
At the back of the restaurant they have a jazz bar/club and a band. This turned out to be the entertainment for the night. The lead singer was an awkward white guy and his band mates were what we thought of as retired jazz musicians. You know the other guys in the band were like "Who the hell does this white boy think he is strutting his ass around this stage like he knows somethin' about soul?" (Did I mention he did a costume change into a one-piece leiatard and afro-wig?) And of course, he used his "band" status to walk through the crowd and see how many desperate ladies he could try an hit on. He actually came over to Amanda and I while Chad and Jason were getting beers! He actually had the odassity to say to us, "well, you guys were much better looking when these guys weren't around." RUDE!!!
We finished off the night back at our house playing a few rounds of P&A before the boyz called it a night and Amanda and I stayed up catching up.
You know, another good friend of mine told me this week "One of the hardest things about friendships is that they change and sometimes they don't last. The important thing is to have only a handful of close friends you can turn to when you need them most." I've always known Amanda was one of those friends for me, but it does my heart good to get reminders. I miss her and wish she lived closer, but I cherish the visits we have...

No comments:
Post a Comment