Friday, November 14, 2008

Pancreatic Cancer Awarness Weekend

November 14th, 2008

Anyone that has ever met my Grandma Jackie has no doubt been touched in a special way. I will gladly admit that I am partial to this woman, but she is the most kind and generous person I've ever met in my life. She was never one for material things, she appreciates the more important things like time spent with family. She's always been on the go, getting you everything so you don't have to lift a foot...a home cooked meal, a glass of sweet tea, cookies, etc.

And everyone has special memories of their Grandma. Me personally, I love the way my Grandma rubs my back, I love the way her house smells and how it makes me feel safe and cozy, I love that she loves my husband whom she's only met a handful of times, I love how we used to watch I Love Lucy when I was a little girl, I love playing UNO with her and laughing hysterically at her attempt to curse, I love the 2 Mexican statues that my dad gave her when he was a teenager.Now, this saint of a woman gets stuck with this stupid disease. She wanted so much to be at my wedding...her first grandchild's wedding and couldn't because of this stupid disease. She started chemo a few weeks after my wedding, she just completed radiation and now she has to go through chemo again. I hate this stupid disease...I cry all the time because of this stupid disease. But you know what, my Grandma hasn't cried once. She hasn't been the least bit scared like I am everyday. SHE is the one fighting this stupid disease and she is not going to let it take ANYTHING away from her. And as much as I hate the stupid disease, I'm not going to let it take anything from me either!

So today, in my efforts to create awareness, I asked a handful of people to show their support of my grandma and wear purple. We were not a big group but that doesn't matter. What matters most is here are 7 individuals who had no idea that the month of November was Pancreatic Cancer Awareness month, nor were they aware the color was purple. Small steps towards finding a cure for this stupid disease. I can't wait to see my Grandma's face when I show her this picture in a couple weeks. I know that she is going to light up...it will give her the strength she needs to keep fighting.

Thank you!

1 comment:

kat and jason said...

jessi, you looked just like palin, i saw her several times and i cant tell the difference. chad i also agree with your comments. have a good thanksgiving - the wood's